Breakfast for us is a luxury. Truthfully it is just too hectic in the morning. It's a wonder that the kids are able to get a sit-down breakfast everyday. Most days, I just have a cup of coffee to go. But summer is on the horizon, so I NEED to eat right as I attempt to shed the winter weight (lol).
Introducing my new best friend: the smoothie bowl. It's quick, easy and really good. I took some of my favourite smoothie ingredients and turned into a delicious bowl.
1/2 cup strawberries
1/2 cup mango
1/4 cup pineapple
1/2 cup nectarine
1/4 cup almond coconut milk
2 tablespoons kefir
Splash of pure fruit juice
2 teaspoons blanched slivered almonds
1 tablespoon chia seed
2 tablespoons pumpkin hemp granola mix
Fruit to garnish
1. Put mango pieces, strawberries and pineapple into blender and pulse for about 15 seconds.
2. Add in kefir, milk and fruit juice into blender and mix until smoothie is a creamy texture.
3. Pour smoothie into a bowl and garnish with toppings of your choice.
Smoothie bowls are really filling and customizable.
I know what many people are thinking.
Why would a mom want to be a badass?
Newsflash: Who wouldn't want to be a badass, including your mama?
Yes I am a mother. Yes I am a Christian, Yes I am a woman in her mid-thirties. But I'm also a woman who is trying to find real significance in her life and experience the best it has to offer. So when one of my thoroughest gifted me with the book, You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start LIving An Awesome Life by Jen Sincero, I was excited to dive in and get some tips on ultimate badassery.
Here are 5 things I learned:
1. Clear Out Your Internal Junk Mail: There are habits and fears that sometimes stand in the way of us getting what we really want in life (i.e. getting that job, going to school, having a successful relationship). This stupor we feel stuck in could go back to thoughts and beliefs that we have locked away in our subconscious as far back as childhood . Evaluate them, see if they are based in any real truth and then release them. It's junk! And it has to go.
2. Follow the Unwritten Commandment: Thou shalt love thyself. Seems self-explanatory right? Surprisingly not everybody knows how. Take the time to appreciate your value by doing things for you, positive affirmation, and recognizing your uniqueness. Most important, stop beating yourself up about the past. Forgive yourself and pour on the love. If you can't truly love yourself, you can't show the world how to love you.
3. Dig for Gold: Bump money, clothes and other valuables you think will get you where you need to be in life. You are your best commodity! Revel in your badassness by tapping into your ideas and putting them to work. Meditation, prayer, vision boards, following your intuition and gratitude are great ways to help you untag your mental goldmine. So just do it already.
4. Get Over Yourself…Like Seriously: Pack it up. Procrastination: See ya! Self-hate: it was fun. NOT! Fear: This is the longest one night stand EVER. Lose. My.Number. I think you get the point. It doesn't matter what is blocking your ascension to unadulterated awesomeness, just let it go. It may be hard. It may be serious . But I think you'd trade it for happiness and sunshine that fills you up, not weighs you down like that crap you been carting around that has come to define you.
5. Hi My Name is Badass: Yes. You can say it. Being a badass, is not a bad thing and will not damn your soul to hell (insert gasps). A badass understands who they are, embraces their flaws and strengths, changes negatives into positives and uses the Force ( i.e. God, the universe, energy or whatever you call it) to seal the deal. If you command these things in your life, then life will be exactly what you want.
I highly recommend this book because there is something for everyone, no matter what stage you are at in life. It's a quick, easy read and your 5 takeaways may be different than mine. Let us know what you think. Are you a super badass? What ways do you keep your badassery on point?
Have an amazing week beauties,
With the arrival of spring, the events have officially begun. Birthday parties, weddings-- everything is about to be in full swing. With every outing means new threads. In our case #thriftfinds. I have often shared that I thrift for my family and that includes boothang.
His blazer was picked up at my local Value Village for $15. This needed no alterations. I absolutely love the patch detail on the elbow, which is a trend that has resurfaced.
Two buttons allow for this jacket to be worn comfortably open or closed. This timeless piece can be worn over and over, truly getting its value.
I picked my classic navy dress up a few weeks ago with no specific event in mind, but knew I'd have somewhere to go soon. Purchased from Value Village for $6.99, I decided I didn't want leave it even thought I didn't need it. I actually don't need anything but I just love to shop. I paired this vintage dress with a pair of Aldo shoes, an Aldo accessories neckless, and a purple and silver chain belt from H&M. I was co-hosting the evening, so I wanted to be comfortable and sexy.
This season will be filled with many celebrations of love and life. I want to enjoy every moment looking right even when my pocket's tight! 😀 Look out for more thrift finds throughout spring and summer.
Happy Friday JR!
With this week's lovely weather, it had me reminiscing on the beauty of summer. Last summer was full of wonderful events. Two hearts joining as one in wedded bliss and birthday milestones were the height of the season, to name a few. One special birthday was that of my mother-in-love. She celebrated her 60th birthday in true style with the theme, "60 in Mint Condition."
The event was was at a lovely outdoor space just north of Toronto, and called for an all-white dress code. As the emcee of the day, I decided to wear something cute yet functional, since I had to move around. I was able to find a great dress at the Salvation Army thrift store. The original tags were still on the dress which put the cherry on top. I scooped this awesome find for just $7!
My mom also attended the party with her sisters; and rocked an amazing vintage lace dress. I would say one of the best thrift finds we found to date. I'm so fortunate to have both my moms looking not a day over 30.
With my busy social calendar, I always try to make sure I am cute, while keeping as much coin in my pocket as possible (LOL).So I'll forever be thrifting and sharing all my finds with you.
Happy Friday JR!
I recently decided to do some protective styling in my hair. I have been natural for over 15 years, before rocking my own natural curls and seeing it as a really positive look. I embraced my kink and so the journey began. I have tried weaves, wigs/units, braids and within the last couple years crochet styles. I really enjoy the quick installation process as well as how the styles happen to really suit me, at least that's what I've been told--lol. My most recent style, I stumbled upon because I really didn't want to spend a crazy amount of money on hair. I walked into the beauty supply store and paced up and down the aisles trying to figure out what would work for my style as well as my pocket.
I wanted a style that I didn't need to put rods or hot water to. I had done that before and while I love the look, I hate the process; whether I pre-curl or curl once hair is installed. At $5.99-$6.99 a pack, I was able to stay within my budget with only purchasing 3 packs. I cut one pack in half and installed those in the back so that the length would not be too long.
I wasn't quite sure how the style would turn out, but I had to take a chance. At least if I didn't like it I could just take it out. After receiving many compliments, almost every where I went I decided to do it again. During the taking out process, I was saddened by a misjudged snip.
I cut my hair! I'm sure I am not the only one. This is not the first time I have done this, but never in a noticeable spot. I am hoping that I will not make this mistake again but I can't make any promises. So with that being said, I look forward to protective styling for the next little while, as I await the re-growth of my silly mistake. I am enjoying the simplicity of waking up taking off my head tie and pretty much being ready to go. Stay tuned for more protective styles and updates on how my hair is growing back.
Share your protective styles with us so I can try it next. 😀
Till next time!