For a few weeks, I have been searching for a nice way to say thank you to my guests at my Bubbly and Brunch birthday event last month. While I love everything stationary, I just felt I needed to do something extra special for my guests who made my birthday such a blessed day. So I took to Pinterest (the giver of all things creative), and decided to make a mug. Since I collect mugs and breathe all things inspirational, mixing the two just seemed like a no-brainer.
I was inspired by a great heart design that I saw and chose to put my own spin on it by making the heart pattern multiple times to mimic rays of sunshine. I also chose to put a short and sweet statement, that has been one of my personal missions in 2016: BE LOVE.
I really enjoyed this project and feel like a regular Kate Spade with my houseware designs! Check out the steps below and have fun creating.
1. Wash the plain mug in warm soapy water, rinse and dry well. (You can find amazing mugs at the dollar store)
2. Saturate cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and clean mug to remove any residue.
3. With a stencil (or freehand if you are artistic) and a paint marker like Sharpie's oil-based marker, outline half the heart on the mug closest to the handle. Allow to dry for 5-10 minutes before outline the mug handle as well.
4. Do the other side of the mug. Once dry, continue to outline the half heart on either side of the mug with dots. You may alternate colours if you wish. Let heart dry for 15 minutes.
5. Using marker, add a inspirational message to the front of the mug. Let dry for 30 minutes.Turn on oven to 350 degrees celcius and bake mug for 20 minutes. Remove mug from oven and cool.
6. With a clean paintbrush, apply Mod Podge and allow cup to dry for 24 hours. Do not put Mod Podge on the rim of the mug to avoid ingesting product. Hand wash cup before use to seal design and enjoy.